Pages - Menu

Monday, August 19, 2013

Chewy Choco Barako Cookie Recipe


I have done this recipe quite a number of times now and so far I'd been receiving good comments about it. This cookie recipe is my own version of the Triple Chocolate Espresso Bean Cookie-- which is an awesome recipe too. But since I don't always have the ingredients and I always am in a low budget, I made my own version of it. I rated my own recipe a 4.5 as I think it can still be improved.






These make a lot of rich medium size cookies! Around 5-6 dozens of it.

First is to heat the oven at 350 degrees (or 180) prepare all the ingredients. Mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl and the sugars in another. I prefer to use fine whole wheat flour. Maybe it's a psychological thing that I always assume it's healthier that way, but you can always use all-purpose flour.






Make sure that the butter is soft to touch, NOT melted. Wait about an hour after you bring it out of the ref. Beat the butter until light and fluffy.




Mix the sugars in until it creates a frosting-like texture. Then add the eggs one at a time, making sure one is fully incorporated before adding the next. Then you add the vanilla.

When all wet ingredients are mixed together, add in the dry ones. It takes around 4-5 waves and the batter will be rich and stiff.

Use a wooden spoon or spatula and hand mix the chocolate chips. Don't use a mixer to mix the chocolate. I prefer to use bigger chocolate chips so that it's chunkier. You can also try using a chocolate bar and mix the chopped chocolate in. Once the chocolate chips are evenly spread in the dough, you're ready to bake 'em!


On a tray with baking sheet, drop the cookies 2 inches apart. You don't have to roll each one into a perfect ball. I like it better in a weird irregular shape but just about the same size each. This way each cookie will have its own personality.




Then put them inside the oven. Bake for about 7-8 minutes. DO NOT overbake them. It's better the underbake them, these babies are rich and chewy and you do not want them to be crumbly and hard.

Once done in the oven, let them cool in a cooling rack for about 30 minutes and they are good to go!




They are a perfect match with a cup of coffee. Not too sweet and very chewy. I made around 72 medium sized pieces in one batch. If you don't want to bake them all at the same time, you can always freeze the remaining dough and bake it another time. It can last in the freezer for around 5 days. Thaw it first for around 15-30 minutes before dropping on a tray and baking.

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment